The Good Shepherd

The Good Shepherd
"I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine." John 10:14

Thursday, December 19, 2013

The Mother of the Child

One person whom I've always admired was Mary, the mother of Jesus Christ. I'm always amazed by her story. And today, as I was studying in Luke, I was once again amazed at the faithfulness of this woman.

When I reflect and read about the Christmas story, I always find something new. And today, as I was reading about Mary, I found a few things that I thought was very special and neat.

I love reading in Luke 1, where we read about the Angel who appeared to Mary, and informed her that she is "highly favored" of the Lord. And then, when he tells her that she will have a child, the Son of God. 

I don't know about you, but if I was told that I was going to raise the Son of God, I really don't think I'd have the confidence or the belief that I could do it! Can you imagine, Mary, as young as she was... What must have been going through her head?? And considering her circumstances, I could imagine her thinking, "How is this even possible?? I'm not even married yet!" 

But, I love Mary's response in verse 38: 

"Behold, the handmaid of the Lord; be it unto me according to thy word." 

Can you BELIEVE that faith? She is so accepting of it! 
And really, how SPECIAL she was, to be so favored of the Lord, and so trustworthy, to be given the responsibility of raising the Son of God... 
There was also one other thing that I've never noticed before that I absolutely loved! After Mary finds out the news, she goes to visit her cousin, Elizabeth, who is also having a baby (John the Baptist). And as they are talking, we find Mary's testimony (46-55) (I'll share some of my favorite parts):

"My soul doth magnify the Lord, and my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour. For he hath regarded the low estate of his handmaiden: for, behold, from henceforth all generations shall call me blessed... He hath holpen his servant Israel, in remembrance of his mercy." 

Wow... Her testimony in the Lord is SO RIDICULOUSLY STRONG. To me, I see a woman, who loves her Heavenly Father so much, that she is willing to do ANYTHING to do her best, to be a handmaiden of the Lord. I see someone who trusts Him so much, that she is more able to trust herself, believing that she can do whatever the Lord asks of her, with her help. 
I cannot even imagine the feelings she must have felt during that whole time, from the time she was visited by the angel, to the moment when she holds the child in her arms. There is a verse in Luke 2:19:

"But Mary kept all these things and pondered them in her heart."

I'm sure that the experiences that she had were much to precious and special to share with the world. What a wonderful example of humility and faith. 

I am personally grateful for the faith of Mary, and for not backing out. She is someone that I cannot wait to meet one day. Her faith and testimony, her trust in the Lord, is one that I find to be so extremely special. 
She truly was an elect woman of God. 

1 comment:

  1. Whenever I hear the Christmas Song titled Mary did you Know? I ponder whether Mary Knew. I believe she did know, because the prophecies foretold the wonders that would accompany the life of the coming of the Lord, and his purpose of redeeming grace. I wonder how she let him go about on the earth, without stressing over his safety. Mary definetly had a huge roll in, bringing an innocent babe to manhood, to fulfill his ultimate purpose, but to know ones precious son would have to undergo such suffering for our sakes, is something I can not fathom, having sons of my own, and knowing how I live and adore them, I can not even comprehend have to allow them to be sacrificed. That would require the ultimate measure of faith in god. Thank you heavenly father for these gifts, Holy Mary, and your son Jesus Christ.

    ReplyDelete