The Good Shepherd

The Good Shepherd
"I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine." John 10:14

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

The M.I.T.

Once upon a time, when I was just a baby missionary in the MTC, I learned something that changed my life. During a devotional, Elder Corbridge, a member of the Quorum of the Seventy came and spoke to us. He talked about A LOT of things, but he kept saying this phrase:

                                                                    THE M.I.T.

For the longest time, he wouldn't say what M.I.T. meant. It was starting to drive me bonkers. About halfway through his talk, he finally said:

                                                    THE MOST IMPORTANT THING

He began to explain that as missionaries, we needed to teach about the MOST IMPORTANT THING, or the M.I.T. He talked about how if we fail to teach the M.I.T. then we will return from our missions in vain. Elder Corbridge also explained how if our investigators want a lasting conversion, they MUST remember the M.I.T. I remember being super excited, and thinking that he was going to tell us, but alas, my hope was vain, for another half hour or so. He still didn't say what it was....
I remember the anticipation that I felt when he finally said, "Ok. I think I've talked enough about the M.I.T. And I'm sure you are all just dying to know what the M.I.T. is..." I felt like I had just join a club or something, or was about to learn the world's greatest secret.

...Ready?

                                                                THE M.I.T.

                                           THE MOST IMPORTANT THING

                                       THE ATONEMENT OF JESUS CHRIST

And that was the secret.

Why would he emphasize that? Because the M.I.T. is the reason that we have everything! Without the Atonement of Christ, we wouldn't have a hope. Without the Atonement of Christ, we wouldn't have faith to go on, or really, a reason or purpose to go on. Without the Atonement of Christ, we would remain in a fallen, imperfect state, unable to ever return again to our Father in Heaven.
In the Book of Mormon, as I was reading a little while ago, I came across a scripture that really touched my heart about the M.I.T. In Mosiah 3:7-10

7."And lo, he shall suffer temptations, and pain of body, and hunger, thirst, and fatigue, even more than man can suffer, except it be unto death; for behold, blood cometh from every pore, so great shall be his anguish for the wickedness and the abominations of his people.
8.And he shall be called Jesus Christ, the Son of God, the Father if heaven and earth, the Creator of all things from the beginning; and his mother shall be called Mary.
9.And lo...even after all this they shall consider him a man, and say that he hath a devil, and shall scourge him, and shall crucify him.
10.And he shall rise the third day from the dead; and behold, he standeth to judge the world; and behold, all these things are done that a righteous judgment might come upon the children of men."

... That's really A LOT to take in! To summarize: The Atonement (M.I.T.) involves 3 parts:
1. Christ's suffering in the Garden of Gethsemane. It is here that he atoned for EVERY SIN and EVERY SUFFERING and EVERY WEAKNESS for mankind. It is here that it is possible for the Savior to help us, in our time of need, when we feel absolutely weak and low, and he can lift us up again. And not only that, but it is also because of this, that we can repent when we sinned, because it is here, that Christ makes us clean again. (Refer to vs. 7)
2. Christ dying on the cross. Christ had to die, so that his spirit could leave his mortal body, until it would be time for his body and spirit to be reunited. (Refer to vs 9)
3. Christ in his Resurrected form. On the 3rd day after his death, Christ's now perfected body and spirit were reunited, making it possible for him to overcome death. This gives us the power that one day, after we have died, our body will become perfect, free of pain and suffering, and our spirit will be reunited, giving us the opportunity to return to our Father in Heaven.

THAT is our purpose as missionaries. To make sure that everyone has the opportunity to learn about the MOST IMPORTANT THING: That Christ loves them so much, that he performed THE ATONEMENT, THE M.I.T. And because he did that, there is hope. Because he did that, there is a purpose, and a goal, one that is possible for every person who ever has, or ever will live on Earth.
And as we submit to the Lord, and as we humble ourselves, and do all that we can do, we will be able to obtain that goal. We WILL fall short. That's just inevitable. We are not perfect. And that is why the Savior performed the Atonement. So that, even when we fall, whether or not we mean to, we can change. We can try harder to be a little better everyday.

I cannot express the gratitude I have for my Savior and all that he has done for me, and most particularly, for performing the Atonement for me. And that is why I am here. To share what I've come to feel and know is true for myself.

May I end with some words of one of my favorite hymns:

"Oh it is wonderful that he should care for me enough to die for me. Oh it is wonderful to me."
:)

No comments:

Post a Comment