The Good Shepherd

The Good Shepherd
"I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine." John 10:14

Thursday, December 26, 2013

Shepherds Abiding

So... MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!! Yes, I know, Christmas Day was indeed yesterday, but for me, Christmas goes on all of December! What a wonderful time to remember the Savior, and all that he has done for us!

I haven't been able to write for the past few days, since the library was closed... But I want to share just another more Christmas thought that I learned from personal study a few days ago. 

My second favorite people that were able to witness the baby Jesus (next to Joseph) are the shepherds. There are so many questions that go through my mind when I read about them. Questions such as, what made the shepherd so special that they were able to witness the Savior? Or, what must have been going through their minds as they knelt down before the Greatest King who would ever walk the earth? 

So, we all know the story... 
There were shepherds abiding in the fields, keeping watch over their sheep at night, and the angel came unto them and said, "Fear not, for behold, I bring you tidings of great joy, which shall be unto all people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord..."

Now, here's my favorite part.... Luke 2:15-18: 

"And it came to pass, as the angels were gone away from them into heaven, the shepherds said one to another, Let us NOW go, even unto Bethlehem, and SEE this thing which is come to pass, which the Lord hath made known unto us. 
And they came with HASTE, and found Mary and Joseph and the babe lying in a manger. 
And when they had seen it, they MADE IT KNOWN ABROAD the saying which was told them concerning this child. 
And all they that heard it wondered at those things which were told them by the shepherds."

As I read that, I wrote down some things that I noticed and admired about the shepherds:
1. That night, the shepherds weren't just chilling around, not doing anything. They were working, taking care of their sheep. Or, in other words, they were doing their job. And when the angel of the Lord came unto them, they had a choice to make: either stay and fulfill their jobs, which is a GOOD choice, or to see the Savior, which is the BEST choice. 
That can apply to us as well! Do we make sure we choose the better choices over the good choices? Do we justify our actions, or do we really focus on the things which are important?

2. As soon as they learned about the Savior, they LEFT WITH HASTE
Think about that. The shepherds left their job, their worldly cares, to see the Savior. 
How often do we put the Savior first above other priorities? When we are given the opportunity to feel his spirit, do we? Do we procrastinate the time set apart for him, or do we make him our priority?

3. After the Shepherds saw the miracle, they went and shared their knowledge! And everyone who heard it, marveled, meaning, that the spirit touched their hearts. 
When we have the opportunity, do we share our testimony whenever we can? Or do we hide it? Our knowledge that we have is precious, and everyone needs to chance to hear it. 

At the end of it all, the shepherds returned, "Glorifying and praising the God for all the things that they had heard and seen..." 

From the example of the shepherds, I learned something about Testimonies. A testimony may be small, but it is precious.     
A testimony BEGINS when we put the Lord first.
A testimony is TESTED as we seek the BEST choices above the GOOD choices.
A testimony is STRENGTHENED when we share it with others. 
Through this, a testimony will become KNOWLEDGE. 

I'm grateful for my testimony that I have of the Savior and his Gospel. I know that he came, and that he lives. He is the Most Important Thing that will ever happen on this Earth. 
I know it! 
And I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment