The Good Shepherd

The Good Shepherd
"I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine." John 10:14

Friday, December 20, 2013

The Guardian

Joseph is amazing. I've always respected him.

I try to imagine what his story is truly like, and how his role pertains to the Christmas Story. We know that he was a humble carpenter, the husband of Mary. We know that he was with Mary through it all. We know that he helped raised the Savior.
But, I've always wanted to know HIS story. What was it like, being the Guardian of the Savior? What was it like, being the father figure for the Savior, the PERFECT example, when, knowing full well, that he himself, was not perfect?

Really, what would it be like?

I was reading about him, for my "Week before Christmas Study", in Matthew 1. There were a lot of characteristics that I found about Joseph. In Matthew 1:18-21 and 24-25:

"Now the birth of Jesus Christ was on this wise: When as his mother Mary was espoused to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Ghost.
Then Joseph her husband, being a just man, and not willing to make her a publick example, was minded to put her away privily.
But while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, thou son of David, fear no to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost.
And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins."

PAUSE!

Ok, lets think about this for a second...
There's Joseph and Mary, who love each other very much, are planning on getting married. Imagine Joseph's surprise when Mary comes to him one day and says, "Joseph, I'm having a baby... But I promise, it's not what you think..."
I mean, what would be going through Joseph's mind?? Really? Well, we see from verse 19, that he was going to break off the engagement, privately so as not to embarrass Mary.

That's the first thing I noticed about Joseph. How much he really loved Mary, and really, how hurt he must have been, before he understood what was happening. He, being a just man, was probably heartbroken, and probably thinks, that they couldn't get married anymore. I'm sure he did not want to. I imagine it was extremely hard for him.

But then, as it says, the angel tells him (MODERN DAY TRANSLATION), "Joseph, really, it's not what you think. Your wife will have this baby, and He will be the Son of God, and shall save the world from darkness. And you, Joseph, will raise the child as your own, and be a guardian and protector for Him."  

And then, as we continue in 24-25:

"Then Joseph being raised from sleep did as the angel of the Lord had bidden him, and took unto him his wife:
And knew her not till she had brought forth her firstborn son: and he called his name JESUS."

The second thing I noticed about him: He instantly did what he was told, and no longer doubted, but had EXCEEDING FAITH to do what he was called to do. Once he understood his calling, he ACCEPTED the responsibility to raise the Son of God.

Now, this is Sister Parrish doctrine right now, but I imagine that during Mary's pregnancy, Joseph and Mary had so many spiritual experiences, that brought them closer together in ways that they would not have otherwise had, and made them love each other so much more. 

Of course, we all the story. When the time came, they traveled to Bethlehem. I'm sure the journey was extremely difficult for a woman who was in her third trimester of her pregnancy, while Joseph, the Guardian, led her there... on a donkey.
I can imagine Joseph's panic, when they finally arrive in Bethlehem, they can't find ONE SINGLE INN where they can stay.
I wonder how he felt, when they had no other choice, but to stay in a stable. A barn. It probably wasn't that clean or sanitary.
I can imagine Joseph being so worried about the love of his life, wondering how they were going to get through this. Maybe he even shed a tear or two.
I'm sure he had to be so strong and have so much faith on that night.
And I imagine, that when he was finally able to hold the Christ child, what joy filled his soul. I'm sure that he felt like a new father, holding his first baby, and although Christ was not HIS child, I'm sure he felt that HUGE sense of responsibility on his shoulders. I'm sure that he thought back to when the angel talked to him, and told him, that he would help raise the Lamb of God. I'm sure he thought about who was in his arms: The Savior. His Savior.

What an amazing example of pure charity and love. :)

I cannot wait to meet the Guardian someday.


No comments:

Post a Comment