The Good Shepherd

The Good Shepherd
"I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine." John 10:14

Thursday, January 2, 2014

Burdens become Light

SHA-BAM!!!
That is how I felt today as I was doing personal study!!

Some days, you learn about something that you already know, but you learn it in a completely new and awesome way! And for me, that day was today!
While reading in the Book of Mormon, in the book of Mosiah, a particular verse really stood out to me. The Lord is speaking to a prophet, whose name is Alma. And this is what he said, about helping us with our struggles.

In Mosiah 24:14, it says:
And I will also ease the burdens which are put upon your shoulders, that even you cannot feel them upon your backs, even while you are in bondage; and this will I do that ye may stand as witnesses for me hereafter, and that ye may know of a surety that I, the Lord God, do visit my people in their afflictions.

The first thing that I noticed was the word "burden." How is it possible, that our burdens can be lifted?? So much so, that we can't feel them? So, my curious mind started thinking, and I started a scripture chase!

If you look down in the footnote for the word "burden" it will lead you to Isaiah 46:3-4. So, curious little me decided to check it out, and this is what it says:

Isaiah 46:3-4
Hearken unto me, O house of Jacob, and all the remnant of the house of Israel, which are borne by me from the belly, which are carried from the womb.
And even to your old age I am he; and even to hoar hairs will I carry you: I have MADE, and I will BEAR, even I will CARRY, and will DELIVER you.

(FYI: Hoar means grey. So, hoar hairs is grey hairs... Therefore...)
MODERN DAY TRANSLATION: I've known you since before you were even born. I created you, and I will be with you even when you've grown old, and forever after that.

I read that, and my mind started running! And this is what I thought...

IN DEPTH WITH THE BOLD WORDS:

MADE: Heavenly Father made us, and therefore, he KNOWS us, personally, and desires us to be happy. We are of goodly Heavenly parent, who wants us to return to live with them. That is only possible through Jesus Christ.

BEAR: Christ was willing to BEAR our sins in the Garden Gethsemane, which is the first part of the Atonement, and the second part of the scriptural pattern. To bear something means to ENDURE to the END, even when it becomes hard. Christ, while praying in Gethsemane, asked, "O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt." (Matthew 26:39) Regardless, he did the Father's will, and BORE our sufferings, because he knows who we are, and he loves us.

CARRY: Christ CARRIED his cross to the Hill of Calvary. Here, he is bearing his own burden, AFTER bearing each of our burdens. Christ puts us before him. He carries his burden, that we may have his strength to bear ours. He carries us when we are lost.

DELIVER: 3 days after Christ's death, his body and spirit were reunited. Because of the Resurrection, Christ fulfilled the Atonement, and is now able to DELIVER us from our fallen natural man state. Christ had to wait 3 days before he was able to be in his perfect state. We, too, have to wait for the blessings to come. And when we endure, the blessings always come, because of Jesus Christ. And he will deliver us.

So, to go back to the Book of Mormon (because both scriptures support each other). How is it possible that our burdens may be lifted?

Answer: The Atonement of Jesus Christ. Because he loves us and knows us, and knows how to lift the burden.

BUT THAT'S NOT ALL!!! ONE MORE ONE MORE!!!!

The second part that I noticed... The Lord said unto Alma, "...and this will I do that ye may stand as witnesses for me hereafter, and that ye may know of a surety that I, the Lord God, do visit my people in their afflictions."

...So wait... So sometimes we are given trials and afflictions, not because we deserve it, but because they will help us become stronger?

Not only will we be made STRONGER... But we will come closer unto Christ.
And because we come closer unto Christ, we will know HIM.
And because we will know him, we can be witnesses of Him, and testify of Him.
And we will be able to say, "I am His disciple."       

Wouldn't that be the coolest opportunity? To be His witness?
I think so too. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment